NTW3 V3?

For introductions and general discussions

NTW3 V3?

Postby [N]Clinch » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:45 pm

Keep hearing rumors of this. Any ideas what this is? Will I actually be able to play a Napoleonic battle that doesnt turn into a big melee clusterfu@%? :worship:
[N]Clinch
Officer

Re: NTW3 V3?

Postby [N]Von Clausewitz » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:34 pm

Well I am not aware of any V3.
With NTW as base engine, it will be impossible to avoid melees in open terrain. Although the melee has been weakened, some officers still can melee like if they were born doing it like LS and some will never know how to defend against it like whomever is on the receiving end of LS' charge.

For a more historical game, we will need to change some stats and will have to use rules. Most people do not want that.
The alternatives for now: Histwar and scourge of war.

Hopefully with the new hsitwar graphics in the making people will like it more, scourge of war has a nap mod but not in MP yet. I am sure Norb will be making a nap game soon.

VC
[N]Von Clausewitz
Marshal

Postby [N]Fullin » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:23 pm

My map idea will fix some issues.
[N]Fullin
Ambassador

Postby [N]LS » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:30 pm

Its funny that everyone considers me a melee freak when I'm a firm believerer of defeating the enemy in ranged combat. Unfortunately in NTW 3 the effectiveness of muskets is so low, it is often wiser to engage in risky melee manovers as they are much more effective when you are under time pressure and often results in relatatively low casualties when the charge is performed successfully. High risks bring high rewards.
[N]LS
Marshal

Postby [N]Clinch » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:25 pm

[N]LS wrote:Its funny that everyone considers me a melee freak when I'm a firm believerer of defeating the enemy in ranged combat. Unfortunately in NTW 3 the effectiveness of muskets is so low,

For the first part of that sentence I would ask "why do you always bring Otto?". The second part about effectiveness of muskets I agree 100%. I remember in some of the earlier versions, we would have firefights. IDK if it was a matter of us not knowing how to charge effectively or if it was harder to do. I enjoyed the games much better then. Would be great if 1) Cavalry was decimated in a frontal charge against infantry (even out of square) and 2)A unit couldnt charge unless it was fresh and the unit it was charging had to have shaky morale.
[N]Clinch
Officer

Postby [N]LS » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:49 pm

For the first part of that sentence I would ask "why do you always bring Otto?".

Because I want to shoot but no one ever lets me?
[N]LS
Marshal

Postby [N]Lancier » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:06 am

[N]LS wrote:
For the first part of that sentence I would ask "why do you always bring Otto?".

Because I want to shoot but no one ever lets me?

long range + melee advantage, how can they let you to :grin:
i had the honor of supporting master ls charge in a game, god inevitability !
* ls make 2 big charges with ottoman in one game, lancier support on both occasions (and watch :lol: ) i never had a better game ...

Chopchops 1st wave
http://vimeo.com/40833574
Chopchops 2nd wave
https://vimeo.com/40834016

Image[/quote]
[N]Lancier
Officer

Postby [N]Sloop » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:12 am

I noticed in "the first wave" that the French failed to react, they should have seen the enemy comming and gave ground with the flanking allies responding accordingly. Even had it not been Ottomans, any faction could have overwhelmed that position. Had it been a 'shooting" army instead, they would have shot the French to pieces. This example does not show better unit melee capabilities, it shows superior generalship.
[N]Sloop
Site Admin

Postby [N]LS » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:05 am

I don't think the video includes the other Ottoman dealing 75% damage to the Polish (which forces Ketch to move back?). The full replay should be available somewhere on this forum.
[N]LS
Marshal

Postby [N]Lancier » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:59 pm

replay here gentlemen: download/file.php?id=358
[N]Lancier
Officer

Return to The Tavern