Wyms current reading....

For introductions and general discussions

Wyms current reading....

Postby [N]Wym » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:48 am

I thought I would share some 'Good Reading' with the Officers of 'N'.......

I have recently finished Steven Pressfields Gates of Fire about the Battle of Thermopylae,his next book I finished last week Virtues of war follows the life of Alexander the Great....both VG reads

I have just started 'Killing Rommel' by Pressfield a true life account about the Brit/Kiwi special forces attempt on Rommels life again the book is very informative and easy going

I will update this list when I find more quality books.....
[N]Wym
Officer

Re: Wyms current reading....

Postby [N]Wym » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:50 am

as u are aware I have been a avid reader of history/military books for the last 20 years or so, with a personal library of several hundred books(mainly 2nd hand bookshops/charity shops)some of my favorite authors are:

Simon Scarrow.....nearly every thing hes written especially his Nap series:
Young Bloods (2006)
The Generals (2007)
Fire and Sword (2009)
The Fields of Death (2010)

Conn Iggulden......every thing he has written especially his Conqueror series about Genghis Khan and his decendents,his Rome series and war of the roses book series are also must reads

Bernard Cornwell..... again a must read author imo with 5 very good series of books
The Sharpe stories
The Warlord Chronicles
The Grail Quest novels
The Saxon Stories
The Starbuck Chronicle

Patrick O'Brian with his Aubrey–Maturin series of novels set in the Royal Navy during the Napoleonic War

Patrick Robinson.... modern naval and special forces

Anthony Riches....seven books that follow the story of Marcus Valerius Aquila,a Roman officer with an auxiliary cohort in northern Britannia

Dewey Lambdin......Alan Lewrie naval adventure series, spanning the American Revolution and the Napoleonic Wars,an interesting read these.......full of sex and naval adventure

Tom Clancy.......many interesting books about espionage and military science set during and in the aftermath of the Cold War

Douglas Reeman (written under the name Alexander Kent) A 18th Cent series following a British naval officer called Richard Bolitho

David Donachie(writes as Tom Connery and Jack Ludlow) who mainly writes about naval adventures during the Napoleonic War and Roman history
[N]Wym
Officer

Postby [N]Tactacus » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:54 pm

thanks for taking the time to make a list wym i shall certainly put it to good use mate,keep them coming..

"I'm glad we burned Washington"

Me
[N]Tactacus
Emperor of the IIIrd Empire

Postby [N]Lancier » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:07 pm

As a person reading 1 book in 2 years :oops: my last book was Matteson Johnston's Napoleon and still on Geoffrey Wootten's Waterloo. Wym's list would take my whole life to complete :] Thanks for the list sir.
[N]Lancier
Officer

Postby [N]Wym » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:09 pm

Lancier wrote:As a person reading 1 book in 2 years :oops:

Ummmm TBH my quantity of reading dramatically increased after buying my ipod and finding many unabridged audio books read by professional narrators.......as I'm fortunate to have my own quiet work dept, so I get paid to listen to quality novels,history books & military lectures while I'm sorting Aston Martin interiors etc :oops:
[N]Wym
Officer

Postby [N]Tactacus » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:47 pm

Im jealous old bean,working for a bank sucks!!!

"I'm glad we burned Washington"

Me
[N]Tactacus
Emperor of the IIIrd Empire

Postby [N]Wym » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:07 am

For you Naval buffs......I've just finished Peter Smalley's set of books and enjoyed them alot,these are real page turners.......

1. HMS Expedient (2005)
2. Port Royal (2006)
3. Barbary Coast (2007)
4. The Hawk (2008)
5. The Gathering Storm (2009)
6. The Pursuit (2010)
[N]Wym
Officer

Postby [N]Wym » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:13 am

Fortunately I've now got the entire "Cato" set of Roman books by Simon Scarrow a very fine author that I have enjoyed over the last few years as he has wrote many fine sets of books so I'll be enjoying these over the next couple of months this set follow two historical Roman Soldiers .....

The Eagle series centres upon two main protagonists, Quintus Licinius Cato and Lucius Cornelius Macro, who are both Roman soldiers. Macro, a veteran with nearly 15 years' service (at the start of the first novel) in the Roman Army, has recently been appointed to the Centurionate. Cato is in his teen years, grew up in the Imperial Palace as a slave, and at the start of the series joins the Eagles as Macro's Optio.

1. Under the Eagle (2000)
2. The Eagle's Conquest (2001)
3. When the Eagle Hunts (2002)
4. The Eagle and the Wolves (2003)
5. The Eagle's Prey (2004)
6. The Eagle's Prophecy (2005)
7. The Eagle in the Sand (2006)
8. Centurion (2007)
9. The Gladiator (2009)[4]
10. The Legion (2010)[5]
• Blood Debt (2009, short story)
11. Praetorian (2011)
12. The Blood Crows (2013)[2]
13. Brothers in Blood (2014)[2]
14. Britannia (2015)[2]

BTW if you like this time period I also strongly suggest Ben Kane another page turning author......
[N]Wym
Officer

Postby [N]Wym » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:23 am

And while I think of it this collection I've read will suit our Emperor Tac.......

Dudley Pope's Lord Ramage's collection of historical naval novels are again real page turners though tbh I do find it very easy to lose my self in them lol so much so I'll even forget about breaks at work LOL
[N]Wym
Officer

Postby [N]Wym » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:38 am

As a prelude to my "Wyms current viewing" thread I would like to add a rare female author to the mix......

Charlaine Harris's Sookie Stackhouse (Southern Vampire) Series of books are very good very entertaining page turning reads........

Unfortunately I read these after watching the True Blood Vampire series on TV which was based on the books....though I still really enjoyed the books non the less BTW True Blood is one of my all time favourite TV series of all time.......
[N]Wym
Officer

Next

Return to The Tavern