Nonprofit Branding: Fundamental or Frivolous?

For introductions and general discussions

Nonprofit Branding: Fundamental or Frivolous?

Postby Lepic » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:44 am

For-profit companies have embraced and continue to embrace branding for a myriad of reasons.
Branding is, after all, a story about a company that wants its customers to experience, connect with, and understand. Companies don’t always have that “personal” connection, so branding fills that gap. An amazing thing about nonprofits is, so many personal stories already exist. Yet more times than not, nonprofit organizations (particularly smaller ones) are reluctant to invest time or money into their brands.

What Will the upper echelon Say?
Let’s face it, budget is usually always a concern for nonprofits and if not for lack thereof, then the concern is that you won’t appear fiscally responsible. Branding might seem to be a frivolous use of donor funds....… but, is it?

No Mascots, Please.
The amazing thing about nonprofits is, the stories are there. They are there in the form of the people, places, or achievements. So the role of branding in your case, is simply to frame those stories.
There is no need to make up a story (I don’t help those kind of organizations).
In fact, for nonprofits, what they are doing is educating and communicating rather than “advertising”. Branding helps people understand who nonprofits are and what they do.
While its true, your nonprofit is the least likely to harness the power of branding, you are the most likely to benefit from it.
What can I say? I guess I like a challenge!
You must not fight too often with one enemy, or you will teach him all your art of war
Lepic

Re: Nonprofit Branding: Fundamental or Frivolous?

Postby [N]Sloop » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:56 pm

Are you discussing branding in relationship to the "non-profit" Lordz and their mod? You want to advertise their brand more? Creating more interest in the mod is a very worth while endeavor. There are some good people in the community who contribute a lot of time and work to do this. They make videos, create websites, promote the mod in polls and reviews, and frequent various forums. Whatever you do could only help the community so I encourage your efforts.

The greatest thing that could happen to the mod is if NTW3 games could be seen in the hosting lobby the same way we can see the vanilla games. It would spur every multiplayer to question what it was and why there are so many new maps that they can't use in vanilla They would be forced to recognize all the players and games being hosted. Their interest would lead them to investigate and they would find the new factions and features offered. There would be an avalanche of converts that would hit critical mass and eventually there would be very few vanilla games being played. Sega has insured this will not happen. Sega needs the older Total War titles to die quickly so they can feed the ignorant masses with the latest eye candy kiddie masturbation wannabe "wargame" so they can meet their profit goals.

Here are some things I've tried:

- I host vanilla games with "www.thelordz.com" as the title. I would leave the game locked and unlaunched and leave my computer on for hours while I was away. I'm not sure how much interest it generated but imagine if the whole community did this on a regular basis?

- When not AFK I launch vanilla and make a chat room advertising the mod and discuss it with whomever happened in. This was labor intensive but I did convince a few fellows to try it.

- The [N] Rabble Rousers" was a group of elite [N] officers assigned a mission to inform and encourage vanilla players to try the mod. They did this by decimating their opponents in vanilla games to get their attention. After each game, using humility and the utmost courtesy, the Rabble Rousers would inform their vanquished vanilla opponents of who they were and that there was a mod that was much better than vanilla. The leader of this elite [N] division was a fellow known as Marshal Tactacus. It was relatively successful and some vanilla players were converted.

Whatever we can do to expand the community is a good thing. We are all appreciative whenever new players enter our community.
[N]Sloop
Site Admin

Postby Lepic » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:33 pm

I am confused. Why are you discussing company branding?

You might think it strange for a nonprofit organization to take so seriously and commit so much time and resources to its branding and marketing. After all, we’re not some business with stiff competition and a keen eye on the bottom line.
Or are we?
Your nonprofit is a business. Looking at a nonprofit that way will only enhance and strengthen your ability to fulfill the mission of your organization.
A strong brand captures the persona of an organization; it is within the organization’s strategy, as well as in the missions and values. Therefore, the brand becomes the public face, the first and often most appealing impression a group makes to its audience.

Whether you’re a nonprofit or a Fortune 500, that’s a mission anyone would agree is worth taking.
You must not fight too often with one enemy, or you will teach him all your art of war
Lepic

Postby [N]Sloop » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:58 pm

So whats your plan?
[N]Sloop
Site Admin

Postby Lepic » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:32 pm

where or how can i begin to find the answers to the many questions i have to provide a plan
i would prefer this to be non public please now
Lepic

Postby [N]Bloody Bill » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:18 pm

What the Fuck! This Clan is in serious need of a return to the vulgar, drunkenness and barbaric bloodbaths of its Glory days!
[N]Bloody Bill

Postby Lepic » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:15 am

i truly hope that you are suggesting the return of N to the field on a regular basis?
it's an inspiration to me to know that in anyway i have played any part in this

please can or could i ask that the use of such extreme profanity is refrained from though
Lepic

Postby [N]Sloop » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:00 pm

Lepic wrote:where or how can i begin to find the answers to the many questions i have to provide a plan
I was assuming you were speaking of the branding of the Lordz and their mod? Your good ideas should be promoted with them and among the community at large. [N] applauds any efforts to expand the mod. An [N] officer is welcome to assist in external activities provided they are not adverse to the Emperor's desires.

The culture of [N] is not of expansion or popularity but that of exclusion and elitism. As an "organization" we care nothing of the public's opinion or the "branding" of our precious [N]. Our branding is built on honor and victory alone.
Lepic wrote:i would prefer this to be non public please now
I am unsure of your request. Our channels are public or [N] officers only. The option of PM is also available.
[N]Sloop
Site Admin

Postby [N]Sloop » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:08 pm

Lepic wrote:please can or could i ask that the use of such extreme profanity is refrained from though
My apologies however this forum's regard for freedom of expression takes precedence over almost all other concerns, including the distaste for rude and obscene language.
[N]Sloop
Site Admin

Postby Lepic » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:06 pm

I was assuming you were speaking of the branding of the Lordz and their mod?

i was and am

Our branding is built on honor and victory alone.

its your brand and as such are free to do with it as you wish

including the distaste for rude and obscene language.

its your forum and all are free to read or not as they like

I am unsure of your request. Our channels are public or [N] officers only. The option of PM is also available.

i will trouble you no further

looking forward to the return of N to the field on a regular basis even more now !!!
Lepic

Return to The Tavern