With Napoleon in Russia, General de Caulaincourt

With Napoleon in Russia, General de Caulaincourt

Postby [N]Sinister » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:34 am

During the Russian campaign the Emperor once said"I beat the Russians every time,but that doesn't get me anywhere." To me that validates my humble opinion that the Russian campaign is the single reason for later downfall of Napoleon. Even then it was only possible with yet another coalition of nations. No one country could give the great man pause, prime example is his allowing the British their meager foothold in Spain, a job for lesser Generals,or allowing the Austrians to
reform their milatary time after time following defeat after defeat.
Armand-Augustin-Louis, Marquis de Caulaincourt, First Duke of Vicenza. Born at Caulaincourt on Dec. 9, 1773 and died on Feb. 19, 1827. A professional soldier, statesman,and administrator. He was the son and grandson of generals, both he and his younger brother Auguste were generals.
In 1802 he became the eighth aide-de-camp to the First Consul.He once wrote in a letter "We don't travel, we race..." At 29 he had served for 15 years, made 13 campaigns, was twice wounded.
In 1804 he was appointed Grand Ecuyer. His job was to organize the travels of Napoleon's household,during war he ran headquarters. He rode beside Napoleon in so doing saw the battles of Ulm and Austerlitz, Jena, Eylau, Friedland and Borodino.
In 1805 he was made general of division.In 1807 he was at Tilsit, for the meeting between Tsar Alexander and the Emperor. After that he was sent as Ambassador to St. Petersburg.
In 1808 he was made the Duke of Vicenza. After a second meeting of the leaders at Erfurt which ended in distrust on both sides Caulaincourt tried to reunite them by arranging a marriage between Napoleon and one of the Tsar's sisters, to no avail.
In 1811 he was recalled from St. Petersburg, for the Emperor had decided it was time to settle the Russian problem once and for all.
In 1814 before Elba of all the great entourage and the many generals Caulaincourt was one of the few who had not betrayed Napoleon, and it was to Caulaincourt the Emperor had clung to after having taken poison.
I know of no other book that delves as deep into the Emperor's thoughts during that history turning campaign as the one written by the man who stood at his left hand thru it all.

--------------------
[N]Sinister
Officer

Re: With Napoleon in Russia, General de Caulaincourt

Postby [N]Fullin » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:50 am

very interesting...so many caracters during that period.. that our present looks really dull.
[N]Fullin
Ambassador

Postby [N]Von Clausewitz » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:05 pm

I have read that book and recommend it to everybody. It gives so much insight into the character and thinking of the Emperor that you cannot find in regular history books.
Armand de Caulaincourt was the master of horse of napoleon and was with him every second of the campaign and he cites so many personal discussions with the Emperor that you get the feeling you were there with them.

This book is a must read.

VC
[N]Von Clausewitz
Marshal

Postby [N]Bloody Bill » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:25 pm

I agree this is a must have for any Napoleonic fan. Very good read and extremely touching insight. :smile:
[N]Bloody Bill

Return to Books - Recommendations & Reviews