3v3

For battlefield reports and news from the front

3v3

Postby [N]Lancier » Fri May 20, 2011 11:47 pm

Last edited by [N]Lancier on Sat May 21, 2011 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
[N]Lancier
Officer

Re: 3v3 - 098Y1

Postby [N]Tactacus » Fri May 20, 2011 11:55 pm

vgg for us,although the dabate afterwards about the game lasted almost as long.Still some strong views about which way the mod should go.
I personally likedthe manouver around the map to lure t bone away from his allies then smash their center but the mass melee didnt please some..

"I'm glad we burned Washington"

Me
[N]Tactacus
Emperor of the IIIrd Empire

Re: 3v3

Postby [N]Burning Apollo » Sat May 21, 2011 1:03 am

This battle was all about maneuver pure and simple. It's unfortunate that it ended in a massive melee, but then again sometimes when you get a good opportunity you cant resist. I only played a minor role, but our plan was never to charge, merely to get into a good position and then attack any way that seemed best.
[N]Burning Apollo

Postby [N]DunkFunk » Sat May 21, 2011 1:13 am

What version is this? could someone post a link?
[N]DunkFunk

Postby [N]Clinch » Sat May 21, 2011 2:42 am

I think there is a serious problem with this mod. BTW it is Beta 2 with Fullins maps. 3 days now and the game is biased 80% towards charge and melee. It really saddens me because my understanding was that melee hardly ever happened.
General Antoine Henri Jomini (1769-1869) served in the French and Russian armies and participated in numerous battles. He wrote that he never saw a bayonet fight in open field between two formed bodies of troops. Jomini: "In fact, in real combats of infantry I have never seen any thing but battalions deployed commencing to fire by company, and finally by file, or else columns marching firmly against the enemy, who either retired without awaiting the columns, or repulsed them before actual collision took place, or themselves moved out to meet the advance. I have seen melees of infantry in defiles and in villages, where the heads of columns came in actual collision and thrust each other with the bayonet; but I never saw such a thing on a regular field of battle."

As I stated before battlefield wounds;
In 1807 during the war between France and Russia and Prussia, chirurg Dominique Jean Larrey studied wounded on one battlefield and found most were caused by artillery and muskets. Only 2 % of all wounds were caused by bayonets.
- 98 % other wounds
- 2 % wounds from bayonets
The damage inflicted during "bayonet assault" was most often executed by bullets. Larrey studied one particularly vicious close combat between the Russians and the French and found:
- 119 (or 96 %) wounds from musketballs
- 5 (or 4 %) wounds from bayonets

Im not trying to be a whiny little bit@# but the current style of this mod does not appease my fantasy of actually partaking in its tactics. If this is the way the mod is, I hope you all enjoy it.
[N]Clinch
Officer

Postby [N]Sloop » Sat May 21, 2011 4:18 pm

I must agree with with Clinch's observations and to my limited knowledge of the era this would be the case. I would also presume that the charges we read about carry much more fame and documentation than the average firefight engagement so please do not start siting famous bayonet charges. In contrast the number of firefights are innumerable and immeasurable.

As for anyone's personal opinion and behavior towards this mod, we must all remember that this is a beta, it changes every week. Our' contributions and opinions carry great weight although you may not believe it, and even a "whiny little bit@#" can have a profound impact so dont take your bouncy ball and go home yet.

We already have numerous betas and mods and if the Lordz fail to improve on their past results we can simply pick and choose what we prefer, we practically do this now. I will also guess that no matter what the Lordz final product is there will be someone who will refuse to play it. Even I have a peeve as I refuse to play with rules (very fortunate for NBC's victory stats).

Now that there is a release date, this is a critical time in the development of this game. I wish the Lordz good luck and godspeed.
[N]Sloop
Site Admin

Postby [N]Von Clausewitz » Sat May 21, 2011 5:02 pm

Guys we all know that melee was overpowered. Avon did another version with weakened melee. Version Y1. Have you tried it yet?

VC
[N]Von Clausewitz
Marshal

Postby [N]Burning Apollo » Sat May 21, 2011 6:01 pm

I've played a few Y1 battles. I played a battle and charged the Russians instead of letting them charge me, and i almost equaled them with french units. So i think that it may be on its way to getting rid of the OP melee. But further testing will definitely be needed.
[N]Burning Apollo

Return to The Gazette