Avon:Russia
Pally:Austria
Steiner:Prussia

Map

Indian Artillery Fort

Game

NTW3 orange

Deployment and Opening Maneuvers of the Battle

Our armies met on a large open expanse occupied by several notable hills and ridges grouped along the edges and side of the map. In the center of the map there was a small clustering of farmsteads and buildings along with smaller hills and depressions. Small copses of trees and woods spotted the land. It was altogether a very defendable map and allowed the Allied forces to assume strong defensive positions. It would be a tough fight for the French forces made considerably worse by the scorching heat of the unforgiving Indian sun.

The French Army commanded by Fullin in the center, Byron on the left, and myself on the right deployed opposite the Allies on a small ridge. The combined German-Russo force occupied two main ridges: one a long way across from our left was controlled by the stalwart Prussian commander Steiner, another on the right in front of me was controlled by the resilient Austrian forces under the command of Pally, deployed between them were the hardened Russians of Avon's army.

Seeing the Allied deployment we French commanders resolved on a simple plan: push forward on the right as the ground was more forgiving and seize the hills and ridges directly in front of me. With our plan set we formed our armies into more mobile formations and advanced with the attack on the right spear headed by myself followed by Fullin who in turn was followed by Byron. Fullin and myself rushed to deploy our "flying" artillery to cover our advancing troops. I positioned mine on a reverse slope covered by some trees and just as my crews had positioned their guns, the sky above them was overtaken by a horrible noise: the screeching shell of a 20 ilb unicorn barreling down on them. The round landed and exploded amongst the crew killing many and disabling a gun. A grim start to the battle...

The Battle Begins in Earnest

The Unicorn had sounded that start of the battle. French forces pushed forward seeking to exploit and control the few hills and depressions we could. Ultimately though, we had to attack the hill occupied by the Austrians. The Allied commanders were quick to realize our plan and moved some units toward their center and right to bolster the Austrian forces.

The French Commanders realized the struggle needed to take the hill and so revised their plan. I would continue my assault on the right supported by Fullin but Byron would remain in reserve with his ultimate goal being to attack the Prussians or Russians should they abandon their defenses and come down to assault Fullins flank. So, I continued my attack and formed up in large foramtion on the right ins a small depression while my guns focused on silencing an Austrian battery of 12s. Fullin advanced on my left taking good ground and moved a large cavalry force to my right. Byron faithful to the plan remained on the reserve.

The Allies now moved forward in a minor offensive. Just before me the Austrians moved to occupy a ridge looking down on my troops. The Russians advanced some in the center occupying a small copse of woods with jagers. The Prussians remained in reserve but close to the battle.

I now focused my "flying" artillery on the Austrians on the hill sending canon balls through the ranks. Fullin advanced his line and began to exchange volleys with the Austrian and Russian troops. The Allies had taken a strong position and a direct assault seemed perilous, none the less Fullin and I sent our men forward to engage the enemy. Some daring Prussian cavalry made a dash for Fullins limbered yet seemingly unprotected guns but were repulsed by the combined efforts of Byron and my own cavalry.

The situation seemed grim but as the smoked and dust settled between the embattled French and Austrian forces on the right the French commanders noted something strange. The Austrians and Russian were withdrawing!

King of the Hill and the Final Stages of the Battle

"Forward men, and take the hill!" The French officers shouted as their beleagered men rushed forward. The Allies had ceaded us the ridge perhaps in hopes of refocusing on better ground. But ever on their heels were the French. As the Austrians pulled back my forces pushed on their heels firing rounds into their backs. As I advanced I assumed deeper formations to bolster moral but also safe guard against the advancing Russian Guard cavalry moving in behind the weakened Austrian Army. Fullin and myself advanced forward positioning our flying artillery in prime spots to rain death down on the enemy. Meanwhile, Byron moved in taking up a strong position on the center of the map and skirmished with the now advancing Prussian forces.

The battle now seemed to sway in our favor as Fullin's lights fired upon exposed Austrians and my own line exchanged favorable volleys with the now weakening Austrians. However, the Allies were not done yet. Avon's mighty cavalry launched a counter attack on my right against Fullin's own cavalry. His cavalry were charged by the swift lances of the Austrian Uhlans but managed to beat them back with the support of my now repositioned infantry on the right. However, Fullin's weakened cavalry were no match for the Chavialer Guard of the Russian commander Avon. The Russians made quick work of Fullin's remaining cavalry and pressed onward toward my line but were intercepted by my reserve cuirassiers who engaged in desperate melee with them. However, the were quickly supported by my own line who fired shots into the flanks of the engaged Russian Guards. And from behind came the indistinguishable horns of the Dutch Guard Lancers under Fullin's command who entered the fray driving the the Russian Guard from the field.

The Allied counter offensive had failed the battle was now clearly in favor of the French who pressed ever onwards on the Austrians and Russians. Fullin's units though weakened from continual fighting pressed onward.

Resolution

The Austrians were now on the almost continual back pedal from my forces having received greivous casualties. The Russians at the center were in a desperate struggle against Fullin and the Prussians moved cavalry to my right flank which was effeciantly countered by Byron's reserve cavalry. Fullin seeing a weakness in the Russian line launched his men forward and managed to rout many of the depleted Russian regiments however they managed to reform including a Russian Life Guard unit which broke through behind the french lines only to be finished of by Byron's lancers. The Austrians and pulled back to a small ridge and the Prussians had moved forward to engage Byron, but the Russians in the center looked destitute. A perfect target for the Dutch Grenadiers under Byron's command.

As our target became clear I rushed forward to engage and hopefully finish off the Austrians while Fullin began a bayonet charge on portions of the Russian and Austrian line. From behind Fullins and my own very tired forces came the fresh and impetuous drum beats of the Dutch Guard. Byron ahd preserved their stamina well and now was the time to unleash them.

The Grenadiers rushed forward "For the Emperor!" they chanted as their gleaming bayonets pierced the exhausted Russian lines effectively breaking the Allied army in two. Encouraged by the site of the enemy running I gave the order to my troops for a general charge. My tired men lunged forward upon the Austrians as the dreaded Old Guard rolled their flank.

My comrades finished off the Prussians with equal measures. The battle was won.

Notes on the Battle

This was a great battle played very very well by all parties involved. I had great fun. There were some interesting glitches however including poor path finding and simple retardedness of Avon's cavalry which did not reform properly and my own canons which did not fire despite having clear shots. Despite that though it was a lot of fun.

Good job all! :smile:
[N]Pints of Guinness

Re: Battle of Rajastan

Postby [N]Von Clausewitz » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:15 pm

Excellent battle report Pints, a pleasure to read.
I think we have a winner for NTW3. A few small changes and it is ready, it will outdo NTW2 i am sure.

VC
[N]Von Clausewitz
Marshal

Postby [N]BdColonel » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:59 pm

The fact that someone went to the trouble of writing a 1,300+ word report on a battle with the mod is a clear indication that we are heading in the right direction. :greetings:
[N]BdColonel
General

Postby [N]Fullin » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:05 am

The 30 seconds difference between them pulling out the hill and us doing it, saved our day.
Its interesting how sometimes both sides can find themselves in the same desperate position of thinking that a situation is unteneable.
I recall the image very vividly as our bugle officere was about to play de retraet ,we saw the austrians turning their backs to us , and e LT COL Pints, rushing fodward and knoking the bugle from the the poor horn blower with the blunt of his sword.
30 seconds.... just that.

General Fullin
[N]Fullin
Ambassador

Postby [N]Avon Ulysses » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:32 pm

An excellent Battle report Pints.
Fairly accurate, but as always the victor writes the history.
We Allies tried our hardest & as you said we had good defensive terrain.
But your relentless advance could not be stopped.
Although I would like to say that we were all equally responsible for the defeat, I have to admit to giving quite a few orders. Sometimes they were even followed.
It is interesting that you were waiting for us to try to envelope your left flank with the Prussians . For we very nearly attempted it, but your uncommitted reserves put us off.

The compact deployment of your combined army made it difficult to find a point to counter attack. Eventually , almost in desperation, we assailed your right with the one ‘ace’ in our deck. But, possibly through poor unfantry/cavaly co-operation, All 3 regiments of the Chevalier Guard, supported by the Austrian Lancers could not beat back the French cavalry. The inability of their brigade commander to reform his squadrons was practically galling. Obviously all that money spent on the gold-guilt cuirasses & ostrich feathers would have been better spent on more cartridges for musket drill.
In hindsight, perhaps we shouldn’t of tried, as those cavalry would have been very useful in blocking the eventual rupture of our lines by the French. As it was the lone battalion of Russian Guards, with some Cossacks in support allowed us to fall back once more, But by then the result was inevitable.

The French may want to know the thinking behind our retreat from the first ridge. To us the position looked weak as it formed a ‘peninsular or angle in our line. By pulling back the angle would have been reversed, with the French, who were obviously massing for a charge, on the inside of the ‘L’ formed. From here they would receive musket fire from our enfilading troops, who now had higher ground on all sides.
Initially we could not retreat, because the Austrians were too closely engaged. But then the Front line French troops about faced, to make room for the massed guards to their rear we thought. We immediately took advantage of the French Retreat to realign our troops as previously described.

All in all it was a great battle. Even if the end result didn’t follow the script.
'Illegitimi non carborundum'

[N]Avon Ulysses
Officer

Postby [N]Von Clausewitz » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:01 pm

Just reading the battle report and all the analysis makes me drool at the thought of the next battle.

VC
[N]Von Clausewitz
Marshal

Postby [N]Pints of Guinness » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:25 pm

Indeed, indeed VC. I have to say that the larger games now feel like epic battles. I was really loving that one we played earlier where you and I as the Russians assaulted on the right and the British made excellent efforts to counter our advances.

Thanks Avon for giving some insight into the Allied thinking. As you point out it was a tough situation on the ridged and entirely obvious that we wanted to charge. I think too that withdrawing from the ridge wasn't entirely a bad idea as the soldiers silhouette against the Indian sky no longer presented perfect targets for the "flying" artillery.

I think for future reports it would be lovely if the opposing commanders could both give count of the affair, which usually happens anyway, but perhaps in a little more detail as Avon has done.

Anyway, great game indeed felt very epic.
[N]Pints of Guinness

Postby Pally » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:13 pm

It was a great fight, just a french wave that could not be stopped in the end. When we were talking in our battle rooms on TS I had tried to get our right (the french left) to push into your flank if not to damage then at the least to pin down your reserves...but we were unble to apply force when needed to stem your flow of men to the Autrio-Russian front. You guys had a wonderfuly planned and executed attack. I just wish I could have saved the replay. The new mod wont let me save them (CTD when I try) as it wouls have been worth watching again. Salute! :wink:
Pally

Postby [N]Avon Ulysses » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:47 pm

Here is the replay Pally.
Luckly Byron saved it.
you will need to rename the extension from zip to replay.
For some reason the forum is very strict about what file types it will allow.
Attachments
Orange01.zip
(482.47 KiB) Downloaded 480 times
'Illegitimi non carborundum'

[N]Avon Ulysses
Officer

Postby [N]LS » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:28 pm

Avon, you could have compressed the replay into a zip file. It should make the file smaller and therefore faster to upload/download.
[N]LS
Marshal

Next

Return to The Gazette