3vs3 Lordz medieval

For battlefield reports and news from the front

3vs3 Lordz medieval

Postby oOIYvYIOo » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:13 pm

.☠. § § Lusitani Legio ,Fundator membrum
oOIYvYIOo

Re: 3vs3 Lordz medieval

Postby [N]Rakker » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:46 pm

Short summary what happened in that battle. Wich was fought against Grognards. Christ2burd, Antoine and a velite named cosak (do the Grogs have velites too?)

We played France, the oppositon where Russians

I was on the left, da Motta was centre and T bone was on the right. The map was splitted by a river and on each side there were good hills wich made up good defensive spots.

The plan we made was to advance left as the opponent there was a relatively unexperienced grog I would attack him and da Motta would support that attack. T bone should face the attack of Christ.

The advance went smoothly. Too smoothly. When da Motta and me reached the middle of the map there where yet no signs of an enemy. A few minutes later scouts spotted the rearguard of Cosacs Russians, traveling over the river. We warned T bone that he had to face at least two armies and maybe more. He was however confident on his strong defensive position on a hill. At that moment we should have decide too withdraw Tbone, or to march directly to his aid. However I xcontinued to chase the russian rearguard wich was a fatal mistake. Da motta was trying to help TBone with the right wing of his army but it was of no avail.

1 and half army against two full armies commanded by two veterans (Christ and Antoine) . Perhaps even more if the advance guard of Cosac was also there on the spot. In a typical Grognard mass charge they broke and finished our armies there quickly and costly.

After that they had a numerically superiority in Infantry and Cavalry. They could easily pin the left wing and assault the right without too much issues. And mob up the remaining armies of me and da Motta.

What went wrong:
We noticed late that the Grogs where moving towards one flank.
We reacted to that, but took two wrong decisions wich sealed our fate.
- Decision 1: My army kept chasing Russians so it wasn't engaged when the critical battle ensued. Da Motta's army was split into two, and his second half was also not yet doing much to aid in the critical battle, wich Da motta couldn't help as he followed the battle plan.
-Decision 2: TBone army stood and fought bravely but in the end without real purpose. He should have retreated before he was engaged, or perhaps even earlier, when it became clear that the Grogs where about to gang up on him. Tbone had confidence that he could hold. I doubted it, and made that clear, but i did not insist or gave a direct order wich is absolutely my fault.

Too summarize: When we noted the Grogs plan, we failed too really comprehend the grave danger and the quickness of the ensuing disaster looming upon us. We where outmanouvred. This is the fault of the commanding officer on the spot, wich is in fact me. The full blame of this loss should therefore also fall upon me. After my leave of a few years I have to learn a few things again the hard way I fear...

There was a discusion afterwards about the Russians steamrolling with cold steel the French lines and if that is unrealistic. I however, think that nearly every faction who with a three to one advantage on the critical spot will steamroll the oposition and succeed in attacking a strong defensive position. Charging might be wise in that case, as shooting it out will grant the opposition time to move up reinforcements.

Anyway The Grogs played very well and very effective. In less then 20 minutes they decided the battle.
"Mon General, we are surrounded..." "Magnifique!, Now we can shoot at them in every direction."
[N]Rakker

Postby [N]Von Clausewitz » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:57 pm

I see two issues in this battle:

1/ Scouting on your part was not efficient as the russian movement to one side was spotted too late.

2/ Although the russian movement was spotted late, there was still time to take appropriate measures but none were taken.

I am always faced with the confident commander that thinks he can accomplish miracles and hold on. He might be confident but misguided if he thinks he can stop 2 armies with one.
Next time a similar situation arises, you order the isolated commander to retreat towards you so you can concentrate your forces. Regardless how defendble said position might be, it is not as valuable as a second army and definetly does not replace a second army.

So next time i expect that you would give a direct order to the isolated officer to retreat. If the officer is obstinate and does not carry out orders as instructed, i expect him to be reported to the high command so appropriate sanctions can be taken.

We are a team, a unit, on the field. If we do not fight as a unit we lose. Fighting as a team is what seperates us from the rebels.

We learn from our mistakes so we do not repeat them...

VC
[N]Von Clausewitz
Marshal

Postby [N]DunkFunk » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:16 pm

classic tbone

" i got this guys i got this"

10 minutes later

"i dont got this"
[N]DunkFunk

Postby [N]Sloop » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:26 pm

Rakker,
Another classic battle report. I do like your consise descritions with good chronology, and entertaining. Also your recongition of your mistakes is commendable.

daMotta,
Warn me next time you post a link to a bunch of school girls pulling hair in a cat fight. Why waste your time?

TBone,
Carry on Captain.

Grognards,
Excellent work. I look forward to meeting massed armies wielded by skilled opponents. If it is true the dynamic of the game is bias to charge and melee then the Grogs may reign supreme with their legendary use of the bayonet.
[N]Sloop
Site Admin

Postby oOIYvYIOo » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:23 pm

[N]Sloop wrote:Rakker,

daMotta,
Warn me next time you post a link to a bunch of school girls pulling hair in a cat fight. Why waste your time?

Youre desire is a order sir Sloop.

.☠. § § Lusitani Legio ,Fundator membrum
oOIYvYIOo

Return to The Gazette