Gettysburg: Scourge of War

For discussions of napoleonic games

Gettysburg: Scourge of War

Postby [N]Pints of Guinness » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:03 am

This is a really fun game. I quite enjoy it. Makes me dream of an Napoleonic mod for it which in truth would not be all that difficult as the developers are very mod friendly and provide a lot of tools. In any event, heres a link to the page with a demo and video.

http://www.scourgeofwar.com/index.shtml
[N]Pints of Guinness

Re: Gettysburg: Scourge of War

Postby [N]Sloop » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:40 pm

Tried the demo, old hat Mananas, good game but disappointing they did not do better with it.
[N]Sloop
Site Admin

Postby [N]Bloody Bill » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:05 pm

I own Scourge of war it is a really good game it is just lacking in graphics. Has a good command structure and makes it easy to command whole armies.
[N]Bloody Bill

Postby [N]Tarheel » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:16 pm

Pints you are in luck. I just came across a napoleonic mod for Scourge of War, called Road to Wagram. It looks pretty good from a realism stand point, but lacks in graphics (as Bloody Bill already alluded to), in fact I believe they used the Lordz NTW2 sprites. Appearantly you can form Battalion and brigade level squares. One big minus is that it is currently only single player, but the AI is supposedly very good. Here are some links for those interested:

Details:
http://www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/napole ... updated-14

and a video:

[youtube]http://www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/napoleonic-era/38048-road-to-wagram-updated-14[/youtube]

I might give it go and let you guys know,
Tarheel
[N]Tarheel

Postby [N]Bloody Bill » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:51 pm

I have the mod Tarheel, its pretty fun fo a bit. The map is still Gettysburg and yes Sp only. I dont believe Norb will allow a mp version. You can form square and le order mix along with other cool formations. Sprites are ntw2 and they are making more oob's. SOW I BELIEVE is $30.00 so the mod itself is not worth it but if you want a American Civil War game it is very good.
[N]Bloody Bill

Postby [N]Tarheel » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:18 pm

I got the demo for gettysburg and I am impressed (although i am a civil war enthusiast)I like the commander in the saddle option, though i havent played it.Sending couriers to send orders gives a whole new feel to this genre. What about the square formations do they work or are they for aesthetic appeal? Some of the forums were saying that multiplayer might be available soon or is that positive thinking.
[N]Tarheel

Postby [N]Bloody Bill » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:59 pm

Square works just fine. I enjoy the mod. Sow itself is realy good i enjoy the game alot. MP is a wish for now last i looked.
[N]Bloody Bill

Postby [N]Tarheel » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:41 pm

I just noticed I screwed up and copied the wrong link for the youtube vid. Here is the correct one:

[N]Tarheel

Postby [N]Von Clausewitz » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:45 am

I just played the first battle in the continuum of battles that is gettysburg.
The score needed to achieve a major victory was 3000 on normal difficulty, I scored above 6000.
I think I need to up the difficulty, but it was fun.

VC
[N]Von Clausewitz
Marshal

Postby [V]Sparton » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:44 pm

Well, I bought the game yesterday after playing the demo a bit more. I can say it is a great game. Here is some pictures from the Scenario I played today (Pickett's Charge) played on Veteran difficulty. I was in command of Pickett's Division during the charge which includes 3 Brigades and close to 3,000 men. Technically I won, but from the pictures I'm fairly sure it is clear that the charge was not worth it.

Casualties at the End of Pickett's Charge

Overview of the Carnage

Up Close of Left Side Carnage

Up Close of Middle Carnage

Up Close of Right Carnage
[V]Sparton

Next

Return to The Officer's Club