A Classic Game

For discussions of napoleonic games

A Classic Game

Postby [N]Clinch » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:12 pm

Found out that my original favorite game is free now. Its called Civil War Generals 2 which was made in 1996. Use to love playing the game online. Its a hex-based game with all the major Civil War battles. The things that made the game great was a very realistic line of site and visibility. Units that were multiple hexes away would not be seen by an opponent thus making feint attacks and tactics realistic as ever. Just thought some ppl would be interested in playing once in a while for a change of pace. It is only a 1v1 game and it is turn-based but believe me when I say it is an amazing game.
Only problem is
It was made in 96 under a 16 bit os. Trying to figure out a way to make it compatible with my 64 bit os. Im searching for programs to bridge the gap.
Anyone know any?
[N]Clinch
Officer

Re: A Classic Game

Postby [N]Sloop » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:51 pm

I heard rumor there is work in progress on a new program that may bridge the gap. Its called NTW Civil War Mod.
[N]Sloop
Site Admin

Postby Conq » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:40 pm

Good spotting Clinch,

I am interested in playing if it's compatible with my system, and provided games aren't long, drawn out affairs.

Conq.
Conq

Postby [N]Sloop » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:15 pm

Lt. Colonel Clinch,

Concerning my previous reply.

Such comments contribute nothing and make way for thread hijacking and undermine the purpose of the forum itself. It's unfair on those members who are clearly trying to make genuine contributions to this clan and its members. Had this comment been accompanied by a contribution to the idea, or even a simple acknowledgement of the sincere attempt of the newer members to the clan to engage its activities, the situation would be quite different.

My appologies Sir.

Marshal Sloop
[N]Sloop
Site Admin

Postby [N]Sloop » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:14 am

There seems to be a community out there, you probably need to get on a forum and ask how they get the program to work;

http://cwg2.multiply.com/

Also (from March 2010);
"CWG2 is still alive and well on the net though our ranks have thinned considerably. We play at a multiplayer sight called kali. The version from the underdogs will work though there is some fiddling that must be done with the ddl files, and you do not need a disk. You can get the multiplayer patch and a no cd file from this site:

http://pettigrew100.tripod.com/HQ/index.html "

Found at;

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forums/s ... hp?t=50752
[N]Sloop
Site Admin

Postby [N]Felix » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:33 am

CWG2, I have that game. It's pretty fun but strategic points don't always help out the way you would expect.
[N]Felix

Return to The Officer's Club